Letter to the reader 2024

Rishi Tipparti

Happy last DOI Day of the 2023-2024 school year! Another year of incredibly hard work comes to a close. 

This is Alex’s fourth year on staff and Eva’s third year. As we get closer to graduation and the end of our high school careers, we want to share our gratitude for our school and Drops of Ink itself before we pass on our editor-in-chief titles.

Over the last couple of years, DOI has provided us with many important skills and friendships. What we have learned will stay with us far longer than our time on staff.

It has been an incredible experience to be a part of a small group of people whose primary value is to seek out stories and share them with our community, to uplift the voices of others, and to strive to create connection between the people of Libertyville who might otherwise not know one another. 

We as a publication have made so much progress over the last four years, and we have several people to thank for that.

First, DOI would not be where it is today without our retiring advisor Dr. Paul Reiff. He joined us in 2021 and has helped the publication grow and flourish by allowing us to independently run our student newspaper and make it our own. He has supported all areas and assisted us especially in difficult situations. Thank you, Dr. Reiff! 

“We are excited to announce Dr. Lauren Katzman is joining LHS next year, both as English Deparment supervisor and Drops of Ink advisor.”

Second, we would not be where we are today without our editorial board. They have worked tirelessly this entire year editing stories and completing check-ins with our staff all while doing assignments of their own.

Third, we want to thank our staff. Thank you for all that you have done for Drops of Ink and we hope you are leaving this year with some new skills and amazing memories. It’s been a pleasure to work with you and become a family this year.

And finally, we want to thank you, our readers. There would be no magazine without the remarkable people within our school and our community who have amazing stories to tell.

The past four years have been more than just learning how to write a story, take a photo, and design a layout. It has been talking, leading, and connecting with the community.

So reader, while to you it may just look like this month’s magazine that you’ll throw away after 1st period or leave on one of the cafeteria tables, to us it’s a carefully crafted piece of us all, a sum of stories from real people around you that all together, make up our beautiful high school. 

We hope you enjoy this magazine, and the many more to come. We’re confident in the future of DOI and LHS!

Sincerely,

Alex Clark and Eva Fahrenkrog